Friday, October 30, 2009

Magic and Bird team up for NBA super book and RRA Media's Marc Serota was there for it all in new book by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt


That's rite I was the photographer on this exiting project covering the course in history of the two men who saved the NBA and the game of basketball as we know it today. In a time when the league was fading and excitement was a distant memory along comes the Los Angeles lakers Star Magic Johnson and Boston Celtics great Larry Bird to bring their heated college rivalry to the NBA and create many years of exiting basketball. Before Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordon and after DR. J these two legends went toe to toe in the NBA finals over and over again.

They where not the closest of friends on the court but after retirement...they became very close and collaborated on this big with writer Jackie McMullen. Jackie and I spent time with Magic in Atlanta working on the book and it was so cool to not only photograph such a legend as he but to witness the interviews that created the upcoming book. I originally came up with the idea of putting these two guys together with a publisher friend of mine in Canada. We approached Magic in L.A. and worked very closely with Larry's agent to make this whole thing see fruition.

I must say I was intrigued when I heard Magic talking about Isaiah Thomas and the whole 'keeping him off the 1992 Dream team and the Olympics, and I personally never thought those comments would make it into print. Apparently that will all come out in the book and I myself am glad. Isaiah was coming from a space of ignorance when he spoke of Magic's sexuality and the Aids virus and it hurt Magic quite a bit. I myself believe in not keeping things inside...let it out and deal with it. I guess now after all these years Thomas is dealing with it rite along with Magic.

I was at Magic's Hall of fame induction where Larry Bird was asked to introduce Magic and I truly saw a warmth and friendship between these two mega stars and that felt good...especially after the rivalry on the court...it is good to see that too these two icons of sport., it is only a game.

So lesson here is not just that Bob Greise and Isaih Thomas needs to watch what he says in the 21st century, but all those from the 20th century needed to watch what they said even then. Technology and our memories transcend the eras in which we live in and you defiantly can't run from the past. blog & photo of Jackie, Magic and Larry by Marc Serota/RRA Media

SEE GREAT PHOTOS of Magic and Bird at http://bit.ly/1GXgUR or just type in the box at the top right whatever your looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment